No Spoilers

Part of the fun of this blog is that I am 100% unspoiled from anything that happens when I watch these T.V. shows. You telling me, or hinting at what is going to happen IN ANY WAY (like: "Just wait, Tyler!") will lead me to no other solution but to kill you...or I won't end up liking your favorite show as much as I could because I knew what was going to happen!

Tuesday, April 17, 2012

Battlestar Galactica: The Mini Series - Part 1

Before I begin, PLEASE NO SPOILERS. I needed something to fill the void of Buffy so I turned to Battlestar Galactica because a lot of people told me to watch it. I've heard nothing but the good. So today I watched the first episode and I'm going to write my thoughts, along with the other episodes following.



BATTLESTAR GALACTICA: THE MINI SERIES - PART 1

So, I actually had no idea what the show was about before I watched it. I knew there were robots and war and it was sci-fi and that was pretty much it. Needless to say, I was very intrigued. 


The opening scene was done really well. I sort of love the drums that play, then fade, then play again. (This music also played during the credits so I assume I'll be hearing it a lot during the series...cross fingers). I sort of wish they didn't let us know everything in writing (just because I always think that's a cop out) because it could make for a really intriguing dynamic story (but I also assume that's what Caprica may be about, am I right?). But the writing does allow us to jump right into the action of what is happening inside this new world. The acting, right from the get-go, already impressed me seeing as most shows on ScyFy don't necessarily have the best acting. Just before the opening credits I thought "this is going to be REALLY interesting". The idea of the show reminded me of Terminator meets I, Robot. So, is the original show done during the same time frame? 40 years after the war subsides and it starting up again? Fill me in. I have no plans to watch the original.


My boyfriend watched the episode before I did and actually had to attempt to watch it twice after getting 30 mins in because he said "it was like I just jumped into the story and there was no beginning. I wanted to know who these people were." So I went in thinking it would be hard to follow. It wasn't that hard at all. There was SO many characters being introduced and all having back story we don't know of. The perfect example is when all of the pilots are all playing cards and the blonde one hits the higher official. I think they slept together. She kept hinting at "his wife" and has he talked to "his wife" and then the official is sitting in his bed and burning a hole through his wife's photographed eye. After about 30 mins, though, the story became linear and much easier to follow.

 I loved the woman that became the "President" (and I hope she survived the ending) because I thought her storyline was very intriguing. She has cancer...or at least that's what it sounded like before the engine of the ship taking off covered up the audio for the rest of that scene. 

Overall it was really much better than I thought it was going to be (BTW, the special effects were AWESOME) and I like that they say "frak" just like Willow. I like the drums. Kilo = Dollhouse = Yay! 


9.5/10

No comments:

Post a Comment